ANNOUNCE: cifs-utils release 5.5 is ready for download

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.com
Wed May 30 23:49:42 MDT 2012

On 05/30/2012 04:07 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:

> I'm starting to have doubts as to whether it's a good idea to keep
> - -Werror in the default CFLAGS. This is built in a large range of
> environments and with a large range of different tool versions.
> Catching all of the warnings can be difficult.

Yeah, I'm having my doubts too, now.

> I've left that flag in place for now, but if it's causing significant
> pain for anyone then please speak up, and we might remove it in a later
> release.

There is no significant pain for me, but I'm little worried about
cifs-utils not being to able to build successfully in different
environments (due to -Werror being default) which we won't be able to
test and verify anyway.

Perhaps, we can decide not to keep -Werror as the default flag but
ensure that we (maintainers/developers) run with this enabled from
time-to-time to ensure that real problems are not sneaking in.

Another way to approach is to leave the flag as-is for a while so that
we can catch all of these as they will probably be reported anyway.

The former sounds more user friendly than the latter. But, I don't have
any strong opinions on either.

Thanks
Suresh