[GSoC 2012 ] - Week 1 Report

Dhananjay Sathe dhananjaysathe at gmail.com
Sat May 26 10:28:27 MDT 2012

Hello everyone ,

Glad to be done with my exams and semester and be back home and more
importantly  to work :)
Over the last week I have been busy porting the Samba-gtk toolkit to
Gtk3. I chose to start with first porting the code I authored earlier
due to familiarity with every intimate detail in it and  infact
finished about 65% of it (share manager) already , I'll gain a bit of
momentum and move on to the rest of it in any order . (the toplevel
will be done last as it relies on all the lower level being fully
ported) .
As for the challenges and difficulties I faced there are numerous
changes in the core Gtk api from static pygtk to GObject. Many major
functions and methods have been changed and altered . Infact major
components such as gtk.Table have been declared deprecated by Gtk 3.4
, so that called for major changes.
I got through these by reading and referring various resources I could
get hold of. In the coming week i will continue it .
As my familiarity with the new small and painful little quirks of the
gobject methods improves , ill pick up pace and get done asap.

I will be pushing my code to the newly created "gtk3" branch at
git://gitorious.org/samba-gtk-frequent-personal/samba-gtk-merged.git

https://gitorious.org/samba-gtk-frequent-personal/samba-gtk-merged/trees/gtk3

As always feel free to drop in any comments and suggestions :)

Cheers !

Dhananjay Deepak Sathe | +91 976-487-1950
dhananjaysathe at gmail.com,dhananjaysathe at acm.org,f2009260 at bits-goa.ac.in,
Blog : http://dsathe.blogspot.com
3rd Year Undergraduate,
BE(Hons) Electronics and Instrumentation,
BITS Pilani Goa Campus.