samba3upgrade clarification on groups

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Fri May 25 12:39:44 MDT 2012

OK, this is turning out to be more complicated than I thought.  I must be
missing something obvious here....

I have a wrapper script that I use for my migration test, since it has all
the arguments I use for the script, and it does some extra cleanup steps
after the end of the samba-tool part of the process.

As a part of this wrapper, I am copying the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files that I grabbed off of the S3 server, into the /etc directory on the
new server.  This is a little tricky because the local users and groups on
the new host are not the same as those on the original host.  So, I "cheat"
a bit and save copies of the original passwd and group file before I copy
the S3 versions, and then move them back again when I'm done.  Other than
some minor warnings about a couple of skipped users ("nobody"=501 and a
domain trust account), and the usual complaints about not finding the wins
and idmap tdb databases, the script finishes without any problem.

However, when I'm done, none of my groups have been imported.

What am I missing here?  Could this be a problem with not having idmap
database from the original (3.0) server?

--
    Charles Tryon