Domain Trusts working??

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Thu May 24 14:49:29 MDT 2012

WHOOT!   (I think...)

This is something I've been wanting for quite some time now, and thought
I'd heard hints that it was working... so I went out on a limb and tried it
here in my test environment.  It *APPEARS* to be working!

In Samba3, you had to use the "smbpasswd -a -i <name>" command to create a
domain trust account.  This did not appear to work in Samba4.  However, I
guessed that, since many other Samba4 functions can be effectively managed
through the Microsoft administrative tools, I thought I'd try it and see
what happenens!

I was able to connect to my Samba4 domain with the Windows Domains and
Trusts tool and create a one-way, inbound trust.  (For purposes of this
test, I decided to create a one-way trust from the Windows DC to the Samba4
DC.)  Everything seemed to go fine.  I was then able to go to the Windows
DC and create the outgoing trust.  I was then able to authenticate and log
in to a machine on the Windows domain, as a user from the Samba4 domain.  I
haven't tried to access shared drives and such, but that's next.

Other than the obvious fact that I've only tested the trust relationship in
one direction, is there anything I'm missing here??

--
    Charles Tryon