Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at
Thu May 24 05:10:36 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:30 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-05-24 11:58, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've pushed a WHATSNEW for Samba 4.0 beta1, and flipped the switch to
> > make s3fs the default for new provisions. 
> > 
> > I would like to cut a beta tomorrow, once we sort out the krb5 ccache
> > issue I'm working with ab on.  Please let me know if that would be a
> > problem, and feel free to update/expand the WHATSNEW.
> I'm a bit unhappy about the short notice here. If a couple of people add
> things to WHATSNEW, I'm not even convinced that all of the autobuilds
> will finish in time. It's really hard do deal with "no communication" to
> "deadline is right away" timing if you can't just go and drop everything
> you're doing to work on the changes you need to get in for a release.


The timing for this has been discussed for quite some time now.
Additionally, Michael Adam in his thread "Moving forward towards
releasing Samba 4.0" asked for a release in the next two weeks, two
which I agreed. 

We have been talking about the ACL patches that landed last week as
being the final blocker of a beta for quite some time. 

With the timing of features, it seems reasonable now that s3fs has been
available in the 'final' form for a week or so, and the MIT krb5 stuff
just landed to make a beta before the ntdb changes. 

> Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
> cut the beta tomorrow"? 

Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
as encouragement to turn the crank again!

> There's no mention about the internal DNS
> whatsoever in WHATSNEW

The only change I can see to the DNS server since the previous alpha20

commit f01c6cf707087141fe244a1d90c5cdcb69322820
Author: Kai Blin <kai at>
Date:   Wed Mar 28 12:19:51 2012 +0200

    s4 dns: unify error handling when bailing out
    Autobuild-User: Kai Blin <kai at>
    Autobuild-Date: Tue May  8 15:48:25 CEST 2012 on sn-devel-104

So, while I welcome changes and suggestions, I really don't know what
you would like mentioned.

> , and judging from the mails on this list I get
> the impression that it's at least useful to some people, even if it's
> not feature-complete yet. Especially in cases where BIND doesn't work
> for whatever reason. But I don't have time to work on this right now, so
> I doubt I'll make the deadline. I might be the only one who cares about
> this, but I _do_ care. I know it was the same for the alphas, but a beta
> release is supposed to be more than just a git snapshot, so not giving
> people a heads up is really not what I consider playing in a team.

In this instance the beta release marks our milestone of having finally
flipped the switch to s3fs by default.  We have been talking about this
for quite some time, both on the team list and in public.  

For now, it really isn't much more than the previous alphas where.   The
formal lockdown will begin when I hand the keys over to Karolin for the
RC releases. 

Additionally, just as your time is tight, so is mine.  I would like to
turn the crank on this tomorrow, while I have some time to deal with it.
All-up, a release still takes me much of a working day.  This will in
turn make it easier to find the time to churn out beta2 when you have
your dns work ready.

If we make the gap between alpha and beta releases too large, then we
build up this 'just wait for me' need.  If instead we do them often,
then we can all be confident is is not great drama to 'miss the boat' on
one particular snapshot. 

I hope this helps you understand,

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                      
Authentication Developer, Samba Team 

More information about the samba-technical mailing list