Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 24 05:10:36 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:30 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-05-24 11:58, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've pushed a WHATSNEW for Samba 4.0 beta1, and flipped the switch to
> > make s3fs the default for new provisions.
> >
> > I would like to cut a beta tomorrow, once we sort out the krb5 ccache
> > issue I'm working with ab on.  Please let me know if that would be a
> > problem, and feel free to update/expand the WHATSNEW.
>
> I'm a bit unhappy about the short notice here. If a couple of people add
> things to WHATSNEW, I'm not even convinced that all of the autobuilds
> will finish in time. It's really hard do deal with "no communication" to
> "deadline is right away" timing if you can't just go and drop everything
> you're doing to work on the changes you need to get in for a release.

Kai,

The timing for this has been discussed for quite some time now.
Additionally, Michael Adam in his thread "Moving forward towards
releasing Samba 4.0" asked for a release in the next two weeks, two
which I agreed.

We have been talking about the ACL patches that landed last week as
being the final blocker of a beta for quite some time.

With the timing of features, it seems reasonable now that s3fs has been
available in the 'final' form for a week or so, and the MIT krb5 stuff
just landed to make a beta before the ntdb changes.

> Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
> cut the beta tomorrow"?

Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
as encouragement to turn the crank again!

> There's no mention about the internal DNS
> whatsoever in WHATSNEW

The only change I can see to the DNS server since the previous alpha20
is:

commit f01c6cf707087141fe244a1d90c5cdcb69322820