[Samba] multi home dir locations

Collen cblijenberg at hermanjordan.nl
Thu May 24 01:44:37 MDT 2012

On 23-5-2012 19:50, steve wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 07:22 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> check this.
>>

>> [ProfileShare]
>> comment = Roaming Profile Share
>> path = /nas/users/%D/%U
>> valid users = %U
>> read only = No
>> guest ok = No
>> browseable = yes
>> root preexec = /scripts/smbmkdir.sh %D %U
>> create mask = 4770
>> directory mask = 4770
>> store dos attributes = Yes
>> map archive = No
>> map system = No
>> map hidden = No
>> map readonly = no
>>

>> <smbmkdir.sh>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> if [ ! -e /nas/users/$1/$2 ]; then
>> mkdir -p /nas/users/$1/$2
>> chown $2:admin-grp /nas/users/$1/$2
>> chmod 4770 /nas/users/$1/$2
>> fi
>> exit 0

>>> +1
>>> It's not just you:
>>> we have s3 connected to and s4 domain and we want e.g.
>>>
>>> /home2/students/year7
>>> /home2/students/year7/year7a/<student>
>>> /home2/students/year7/year7b/<student>
>>> /home2/staff
>>> /home2/staff<teacher>
>>>
>>> Under winbind we cannot see how to do it. So we have used the new
>>> nss-pam-ldapd instead and store the unixHomeDirectory in the
>>> directory. As
>>> it's available in both the 2008 and s4 schema it works quickly and
>>> efficiently. With the homeDirectory [share] and unixHomeDirectory being
>>> mapped by ldapd it works fine. Just like under 2008r2. I Really do
>>> think we
>>> should look into this being standard.
>>>
>>> Winbind has done a good job since 2000 but unless it can cope with new
>>> ideas. . . I'm sure it can. It's just not as easy.
>>> Please contact us personally for full details.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve.
>>> http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/p/s4bind.html
>>>
> Thanks that's a good idea, but nope. It doesn't work in winbind:
>
> I want a student who has a home directory in
> /home2/DOMAIN/students/year7/<student-name>
>
> and a teacher who has a home directory in:
> path = /home2/DOMAIN/staff<staff name>
>
> I can't do that with winbind.
>
> As both unixHomeDirectory and the homeDirectory attributes are available
> in the 20008r2 and Samba4 schemas, why not simply write the values _you_
> want into the directory and map it using nss-ldapd? As m$ make it
> available, surely this is what they intend us to do.
> Cheers,
> Steve

Thx that was indeed the way I was looking for.
but how can i make it default ?
that when i add a user it also has the objectclass -> posixaccount ??

in the user manager from windows ad, i see the unix attributes, but
can't alter them
also when I look at the users with ldap, i have to add the posixaccount
objectclass before i can enter a unixhomedir
can i add a default objectclass to the users layer ??

annyway, thx for putting me on the right track...

Cheers, Collen