DLZ plugin adds broken records?

Andriy Syrovenko andriys at gmail.com
Tue May 22 04:30:37 MDT 2012

Hi Amitay,

2012/5/22 Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com>:
> Any modifications to SAM database are done using DSDB ldb modules. So
> there should not be any difference between the updates to DNS records
> done via BIND9 DLZ module or via RPC interface. The only reason why
> the entries might get created without a GUID component is if DSDB ldb
> modules were not loaded while doing the modifications. Please check
> the output of following commands:
>
>  # /path/to/ldbsearch -H /path/to/private/sam.ldb -s base -b @MODULES
>  # /path/to/ldbsearch -H /path/to/private/dns/sam.ldb -s base -b @MODULES

These commands produce output exactly like in your examples, i.e.:

-bash-4.2# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -s base -b @MODULES
# record 1
dn: @MODULES
@LIST: samba_dsdb
distinguishedName: @MODULES

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

-bash-4.2# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb -s base -b @MODULES
# record 1
dn: @MODULES
@LIST: samba_dsdb
distinguishedName: @MODULES

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

> The other thing you can check is the actual records which are missing GUIDs.
>
>  # /path/to/ldbsearch -H /path/to/private/sam.ldb -b
> "DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com" --extended-dn dn
>  # /path/to/ldbsearch -H /path/to/private/dns/sam.ldb -b
> "DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com" --extended-dn dn
>
> These commands should list all DNs in the database with "<GUID=...>
> prefix and the output of the above commands should be identical. If
> there is any discrepancy in the output, please let me know.

The above commands produce identical output. If I change 'dn' to
'objectCategory' these commands still produce identical output.
However I can see several records with missing GUID prefix in
objectCategory attribute when inspecting the output manually. The
records in question arrived through DDNS update today morning.

Regards,
Andrey.