samba-tool dbcheck: answering 'none' actually means something else

Andriy Syrovenko andriys at gmail.com
Tue May 22 04:03:45 MDT 2012

Hi,

When 'samba-tool dbcheck --fix' requests for the operation
confirmation, answering 'none' seems to mean 'Fix the current item,
but do not fix any subsequent ones', which is either incorrect or
misleading and counter-intuitive.

To illustrate:

bash-4.2# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
Checking 3763 objects
ERROR: missing GUID component for objectCategory in object
DC=pc01,DC=example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com
- CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=com
Change DN to <GUID=757b9168-339e-4f41-b0e7-cc7615f5db53>;CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=com?
[y/N/all/none] none
Fixed missing GUID on attribute objectCategory
ERROR: missing GUID component for objectCategory in object
DC=pc02,DC=example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com
- CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=com
Not fixing missing GUID
Checked 3763 objects (2 errors)

There were two object with missing GUID, and I answered 'none' when
dbcheck first asked for confirmation. However dbcheck actually fixed
one record, despite I asked it not doing that. Subsequent invocation
of 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs' (without '--fix') showed that one
record was indeed fixed.

Regards,
Andrey.