[Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.6 on May 31 (was May 24)?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon May 21 13:49:06 MDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 09:36:59PM +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Unfortunately, Samba 3.6.6 will be delayed. There is one blocker that needs to
> be addressed (bug #8944: smbd doesn't start with ldapsam:trusted options).
> The new planned release date is May 31, if there are no objections.
> That means, the v3-6-test branch will be frozen on May 24 (in 3 days!).
> Additionally, the 3.6.6 bug depends on four bugs that should be
> addressed:
> -Bug 8373 - Can't join XP Pro workstations to 3.6.1 DC

No patch available yet for #8373.

> -Bug 8598 - force user fails for active directory users

Patch available for #8598, but I'm not sure it's correct. Needs more eyes on this.

> -Bug 8910 - resolve_ads() code can return zero addresses and miss valid DC
>             IP addresses.

Patch available for #8910 and +ve review, awaiting me adding a test case.
I've raised this one to "blocker" as it also affects domain join (as
found in #8893) and a host of other potential name lookup problems.

> -Bug 8943 - Slow but responsive DC can lock up winbindd for > 10 minutes at a time
>             (3.5 to master)

Patches available for 3.6, needs review.

> I am still not sure how to handle these release bugs. Currently, I handle
> them as "should be fixed", but not as blockers. Can I ship a release when
> there are four bugs listed in the release bug?
> So we should aggree on how to handle these release bugs (or don't we need
> them at all?).

I think #8910 is a blocker (but it's the easiest to get in). #8943
would also be nice to have. Unless we get a patch for #8373 we'll
have to live with it. I'm scared of the patch for #8598, unless we
can prove it doesn't break anything else (this is complicated code :-).

There are my assessments. Anyone else feel free to chime in :-).


More information about the samba-technical mailing list