"killtime" parameter patch ?

Wed May 16 14:11:01 MDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 09:44:06AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> What is really interesting is that we ignore errors from
> our own send_keepalive() code.
>
> All that happens if sending a keepalive fails from server
> to client is that we log it and stop sending them.
>
> Is that correct ? If we fail in sending a keepalive shouldn't
> we terminate in the same way as in the deadtime code ?

Yes, it is correct I think. I don't think at writev(2) time
a TCP socket can reliably detect that it will not be able to
ship the data for whatever reason. So I can not imagine it
to return a reliable error message. What will happen though
is that the keepalive packet will trigger a much faster
timeout or a RST from the client which in turn will make the
next poll/recv fail.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de