[Samba4] Updating DNS via Admin Tools fails on PTR record

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Wed May 16 09:42:01 MDT 2012

All,

So I've got samba4-alpha20 installed.  DNS integration with Bind 9.8.2
via DLZ appears to be working (no named errors, newly added domain
computer shows up).  I also created a reverse zone to match my forward
with "samba-tool dns zonecreate"

Now I'm able to use the DNS admin tools in Windows 7 to add another
forward record and it works fine.  But when I check the "Create
associated PTR record" box, I don't see anything either in the Windows
admin tool (for the reverse zone) or via nslookup.

I see a lot of "Failed DNS update" messages in the samba logs, but I'm
not sure why.  Running /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose
seems to run fine, without errors (although it shows that there's
nothing to update).

Here's an excerpt from my log.samba:
[2012/05/16 09:12:09,  0]
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
   ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
[2012/05/16 09:22:09,  0]
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
   ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
[2012/05/16 11:33:15,  0]
../source4/rpc_server/dnsserver/dcerpc_dnsserver.c:1564(dnsserver_operate_zone)

Any advise on how to troubleshoot?  Or is this known not to work at this
point?

Thanks,
Brian