samba share file filter bug (?)

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Fri May 11 13:24:44 MDT 2012

On Friday 11 May 2012 19:06:22 Alessandro Briosi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've noticed a very odd behavior with samba on multiple systems with
> different samba releases (3.3.15, 3.5.10, 3.6.3)
>
> To reproduce:
> create a file in a samba share named
> DAB11846_17.txt (works also for DAB11846_170005.txt or a lowercase version)
>
> then connect to the share (via windows or smbclient)
> and do a "dir DC*"
>
> you'll notice that the file is found even it should not match.
>
> I could not find any information about something similar.
> Any clue?
>
> Regards,
> Alessandro

we already were discussing this some time ago.
See this thread https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-June/156387.html

When connected with smbclient you can retrieve the mangled name with
altname DAB11846_17.txt
DC78E7~1.TXT

You see that the mangled name is "DC78E7~1.TXT", which matches DC*

Jeremy (jra) told me in an internal email that this matches the
windows behaviour, which we should follow.

You can disable this on a share by share basis with
   mangled names = no

Cheers, Günter