cannot rename windows xp machine in samba4

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Fri May 4 23:53:43 MDT 2012

Matthias,

On 05/03/2012 02:04 PM, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Matthieu, Andrew,
>
> this has been a tricky issue. Here you can find my patch and the
> reason explained in the commit notice:
> http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=b2d3ef922913de635be559df624ef53fccce598e.
> Please review & merge it!

Your patch didn't address the real problem, my logic might be affected
but it looks like your patch is try to prevent duplicates in the
servicePrincipalName that are due to dnsHostName change.

This seems pretty unefficient, why not adding all the value in an array,
and then check for duplicate only once instead of doing it for all the
entries that are about to be modified instead of iterating several time.

But most important your patch didn't address the issue of Vladimir which
is the following: there is 2 modifications in the request one for
dnsHostName and one for servicePrincipalName, the modification in
servicePrincipalName is the same as one triggered by the dnsHostName
change resulting in two entries for the same value causing ldb to reject
the change.

I think the correct approach is the following:

1 in samldb_service_principal_names_change() check if there is a
servicePrincipalName in the change message
2 if so get the values
3 create a list changed value for the servicePrincipalName due to
dnsHostname or samaccountname change
4 Once the list is complete check if there is no duplicate values with
those obtained in step 2

Apart from that there is a test missing on the unicity
(case-insensitive) of values for the attribute servicePrincipalName,
because for the moment we can add HOST/MYHOST when the entry HOST/myhost
already exists (Windows 2003R2 do not allow this).

Matthieu.