What does raw.samba3checkfsp do and why would adding ACLs make it fail?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu May 3 04:32:47 MDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:28:51PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've been trying to add ACL testing to our make test, because I think it
> is important to test our ACL behaviours, and it will provide a baseline
> for validating ACL behaviour in s3fs (plugin_s4_dc).
>
> Unfortunately, I keep getting my autobuilds denied by:
>
> Using seed 1335521448
> Failed to create test.txt - NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> UNEXPECTED(error): samba3.raw.samba3checkfsp.samba3checkfsp(s3dc)
> REASON: _StringException: _StringException: Unknown error/failure
>
> What I'm at a loss to understand is why this fails, and it seems only in
> the autoconf build.
>
> A few things will help me dig into this further - it needs to be
> converted to the toture_assert() framework so the error becomes a
> failure with a reason and line number, but in the meantime, if anybody
> has any thoughts. I would appreciate it.
>
> I'm quite concerned that this isn't the only test that has been
> disturbed by enabling storage of NT ACLs - the samba3hide test still
> won't pass on a server that uses the acl_xattr module for example.
> These acl modules will be the core foundation of the s3fs project for
> the Samba 4.0 release, and so I would appreciate any assistance in
> allowing them to be enabled with minimum impact on our tests, and on
> deployed installations.
>
> The tree I was trying to push is:
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3-acl-fail
(I realize this particular instance of this error has been fixed, but
others can still come across it in other situations)

This happens when a test function returns false without actually
calling torture_fail() to describe the reason why the test failed.

I'll push a fix to master to improve the error message a bit.

Cheers,

Jelmer