Handle IDMAP_BOTH in posix_acls.c

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 3 02:11:52 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 10:02 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > In my s3-acls branch I have a patch to use IDMAP_BOTH in posix_acls.c
> >
> > I know you are both very keen to get IDMAP_BOTH properly supported in
> > smbd, so we can support GPOs in the s3fs configuration.  I'm hoping to
> > today and tomorrow write some tests for GPO ACLs but in the meantime I
> > think this is what we need:
> > https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ae38a8f985bf04c598ab8b469226fe94e2624a5
>
> I think for the IDMAP_BOTH case we should just create a GID_ACE.
> As we put the unix id into the unix group token, it should be enough
> to store the GID_ACE.

I originally did that (and a minimal patch to do that just needs to call
sid_to_gid first), but there is logic in the ACLs code that seems to
demand that there be a SMB_ACL_USER_OBJ entry

> We should also check, if it would be better to handle
> SMB_ACL_USER_OBJ and SMB_ACL_GROUP_OBJ differently.

Indeed.

> We might also need to change the NFSv4 mapping code...

Is that actually connected to anything yet (in the absence on real-world
richacls)?

How do you want to proceed on this?  I am certainly not an expert in
this area, but I always feel better when I'm coding, and it helps me get
a grip on the larger problem.

I'm quite fine if you want to take this on from here, or to work with
you to get a solution here in whatever way you feel will be the most
effective.

I see this as the last blocker before flipping the --use-s3fs default
and releasing a beta (preferably at SambaXP).