cannot rename windows xp machine in samba4

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Wed May 2 15:26:53 MDT 2012

Hi Vladimir,

>   ok, I that's what I've done step by step again:
>
> * left XP from domain
> * changed winxp computer name to WS5 and sid with newsid utility
> * joined winxp to domain under name WS5
> * powered off the vm
> * started packet capture with "tcpdump -p -s 0 -w samba4.dump.txt
> * exported keytab with "samba-tool domain exportkeytab ./samba4.keytab"
> * powered on winxp
> * logged in as admin (I entered wrong username one time, if that's
> important) and tried to rename WS5 to WS6, twice, both times I got error
> but they seem to be a bit different, first time it said smth
>
> the dump files were too large for the maillist (I cancelled that posting)
> so I have put it to rapidshare here's the link:
> https://rapidshare.com/files/3805994593/samba4.zip
Now with this trace I have the reason of the problem.
I put Matthias in copy as he might be the most aware of this.
The problem lies in samldb_service_principal_names_change() function as
we try to add a new principal that is also specified in the request.

Before adding a SPN we should check that this SPN is not already
specified in the request, then I suspect that the rename will work.

Matthieu.