Samba4 primaryGroupID problem

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Wed May 2 09:24:05 MDT 2012

Hi steve,

the question is how you are performing the modifications. It seems that
somehow our SAMDB LDB modules get omitted.

Could it be that you are using operations like "ldbmodify"/"ldbedit" -H
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/<something>.ldb? The files under
"sam.ldb.d" are the real (internal) data files of our AD-like database
and should *never* be accessed directly unless you know what you are doing.

Hence please always access using the "sam.ldb" file directly under the
"private" directory (as "root") or the IP address with administrator
user+password as a "-H" parameter. For other name contexts (schema,
configuration) you need to provide the appropriate "-b" argument as well.

Summed up it is a serious issue. You might also try to do a complete s4
rebuild if the problem persists.

Cheers,
Matthias Wallnöfer