The case for telling SMB_VFS_GET_NT_ACL whether we know the object is a directory or a file or unknown

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:34:17 MDT 2012

Hi,

When you are handling SMB_VFS_GET_NT_ACL requests in a VFS module, and
you want to do something slightly different if the obect is a
directory, you need to make a potentially relatively expensive
stat-like call to determine this.

However, in a number of places Samba actually knows that the object it
is requesting an SD/ACL for is actually a directory. In other cases it
has no idea.

Can I suggest we add an is_dir arg that takes two vals: DEFINITELY, UNKNOWN

That looks like a bool, but maybe an enum is better.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe