Sites and DNS

Kev Latimer klatimer at tolent.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 02:09:52 MDT 2012

On 28/03/2012 08:06, Kev Latimer wrote:
> On 28/03/2012 02:42, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Kev Latimer<klatimer at tolent.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Need to backtrack on myself now, as I've just spotted the error while I
>>> added my second DC and subsequently, site.  Only
>>> Default-First-Site-Name and
>>> the renamed site are showing in DNS, my new and any subsequent sites
>>> are not
>>> although they show in MMC Sites and Services.  samba_dnsupdate
>>> returns no
>>> errors and the the log redirect above yields no clues.  Seems to
>>> start up
>>> just fine and I can resolve SRV records against
>>> _ldap._tcp.mydomain.com.
>>>   It's BIND 9.8.1-P1 taken from Debian testing and built against
>>> stable if
>>> that makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Nothing in log.samba either.  Anywhere else I can look?  Does
>>> samba_dnsupdate have an interactive/foreground mode?
>>>
>>> This is BIND9 DLZ, _not_ the internal DNS server.  Haven't tried adding
>>> another site with internal yet...
>> To make this easier to debug, please run samba_dnsupdate on a DC in a
>> different site. You can get more information from samba_dnsupdate by
>> running it with '--verbose --allnames' options. We need to make sure
>> that this updates the names in the correctly.
>>
>> Amitay.
> Run samba_dnsupdate with the options you've specified from my new DC
> in the second site - seems to run fine, no errors.  The BIND logs
> running on the first DC also shows everything working as it should,
> showing the name of the signer as the second DC and allowing updates
> with transactions committing fine.  No problems with the mechanism there.
>
> The problem seems to be that I can't see any mention of the new sites
> in these updates; the only site I see is the reamed first site.  I
> don't see any Default-First-Site-Name, so it has at least stopped
> updating on that, but no mention of the new site.  In fact, it adds
> the new server as a DC in the renamed first site despite it being in
> the new second site in the MMC.
>
> I'll add a third DC now in a third site (this time I'll see if it
> picks up that it shoudl automatically go in the third site based on
> it's subnet) and see what happens.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kev

Okay, so that was interesting.  Creating the site in the Sites and
Services MMC, and defining and linking the subnet to the new site
*BEFORE* adding the new DC to the domain yields the correct DNS
structure.  The DC was added to the correct site automatically when it
joined and a run of samba_dnsupdate shows the new site under _sites in
each of the expected DNS namespaces.  It didn't show until after the run
of samba_update but I expect that would have sorted things out within
the 600 seconds you mentioned.  The second site site still doesn't show
in DNS, however, so it would seem that moving a server into a site is
where it's falling down, almost like it doesn't know it's supposed to be
in the site?

At least I do have a workaround now, that is, to make sure the sites are
created prior to joining the DC.

--
Kev