Do we need sys_open() et al (_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE and open64())?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 26 05:10:49 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 12:59 +0200, Björn JACKE wrote:
> On 2012-03-26 at 08:56 +1100 Andrew Bartlett sent off:
> > The comments in configure.in are an interesting history.  Others will
> > need to comment as to if the special cases mentioned there matter any
> > more (Solaris with gcc 2.6 and 2.7 for example), but I think Samba 4.0
> > would be a good time to require a genuinely 64-bit capable platform.
>
> but you still want to support 32 bit systems, right? Supporting only systems
> with integer sized to 64 bits seems to be no a good idea ;-)

I was really hoping folks wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  To be
really, really clear:  I'm saying that Samba should require a platform
that has the ability to address files > 2 or 4GB with open(), pread(),
pwrite() etc and an off_t of 64 bits.  Such platforms have existed for
the greater part of two decades, even as '32 bit' systems.

The purpose of my mail is that I think we would struggle to find any
systems that cannot support large files.

Do be really, really clear: my personal Linux laptop is still 32 bit
'only', and along with every other system I know of, will continue to
work after this change.