Windows 8 can join to Samba3 domain?

Darryl Welch Darryl.Welch at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 19 10:49:02 MDT 2012

Andrew:

A bug which prevented a Windows 8 developer preview client from joining an NT4 level domain such as Samba3 was reproduced.  This was found during the Windows 8 developer preview timeframe (September 2011) as we discussed at the SNIA SDC and AD Interop Lab in Redmond.  It was fixed subsequently and this was confirmed in Windows 8 beta which was publicly released as Windows 8 Server Beta and Windows Consumer Preview, 2/19/2012.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview?ocid=O_MSC_W8P_OandO_Consumer_EN-US

As with Windows 7, Windows 8 Beta does require the following non default settings.

   Windows 7 and Samba 3 interoperability;  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681622(v=WS.10).aspx

   HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
        DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode 1
        DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired 0

Hope this helps,

Darryl.