Has anyone experimented with a read-only AD server?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Tue Mar 13 07:28:58 MDT 2012

  One of our customers is running a so-called "read-only AD server" in
their factory, talking to a normal one in their offices.  The Unix admin
reported an inability to have Samba 3.6 join the domain as a member server.

  Before I start diagnosing, I wonder if this is something we support?
I don't remember anyone reporting it didn't work, nor did I find mention
of failing  the list archives, but at the same time I don't remember
anyone saying it *did* work.

  Has anyone investigated this previously?  A description of the scheme
is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772234%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

--dave

(416) 223-8968