How to help a Samba 4.0 release: merge loadparm parameters

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 8 02:58:08 MST 2012

One simple development tasks that will help with the integration of
s3fs, and therefore a Samba 4.0 release is to help merge loadparm
parameters:

We have, and will continue to have for some time, two loadparm systems
(lib/param and source3/param).  They share a lot, but not everything.
We need to ensure that every global parameter in one is also in the
other, or is removed as obsolete (from lib/param in particular).

We also need to ensure that each parameter means the same thing in both
trees.  As an example, the source4 code does not know about 'client use
spengo', it uses 'use spnego', but the source3 code has both.  We need
to carefully align these.

As we align parameters, the table in source3/param/loadparm_ctx.c needs
to be updated.  This is used to allow common code to call lp functions,
redirected to the currently loaded lp code.

We also need to ensure that the defaults are the same in both systems.