status of rpc servers in s3, and which process should handle ncalcrpc and ncacn_ip_tcp?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 6 20:05:23 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 10:30 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2012 13:41:36 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've been looking more closely at the rpc server setup, and I remain
> > quite confused by the current state.
> >
> > In particular: Which process should handle ncaclrpc and ncacn_ip_tcp
> > connections for embedded RPC services?
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Currently it looks like it would be a race between the parent smbd,
> > spoolssd, lsasd and any forked SMB-handling child, because the events
> > are added to the main event loop.
>
> it is turned off by default and you shouldn't activate it. smbd isn't able to
> handle incoming ncalrpc or tcpip correctly. That's the reason why we have a
> preforked spoolssd and lsasd.

On that basis, I have prepared the attached patches.  Currently, having
an endpoint mapper implementation causes ncalrpc pipes and TCP sockets
to be created for embedded services, but as you say, this isn't going to
work.

If we want to make any of these services support ncalrpc and TCP, we
will need to move them to a child, like lsasd.

What do you think?