Is selftest the best framework for writing permissions and Privileges regression tests?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:13:29 MST 2012

Hi folks,

At Metze's urging, I am thinking of a bunch of regression tests for
ACLS, permissions and Privileges.

These tests should be able to:

1. Create files and apply SDs that specify owner SID and any sort of
ACL (ie, a bunch of ACEs etc with ALLOW and DENY entries and empty
DACLs etc)

2. Try to access these files as various users specified in the DACL
(or eventually the SACL and even handle Mandatory stuff) and ensure
that the correct access is allowed

3. Grant privileges to certain users and then try to access files
where access would be denied to ensure that the granted privileges
allow that access.

Now, my questions are:

a. Is selftest the best place for these tests?

b. Does the Python infrastructure have the ability to allow me to
create SDs, apply them, grant privilege etc?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe