Improving the speed of make test

Mon Mar 5 01:23:54 MST 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 06:36:57PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Jelmer and others interested in selftest:
>
> A while back, I started doing some profiling to determine where the time
> is spent in 'make test', using 'perf'.
>
> I was surprised to find that 15% of our time is spent in routines

Is that total time or CPU time? Quite some of the tests in
the file server area look at or depend on timeout behaviour.
The tests for share modes for example come to mind. With
some care (independent file names), they could probably very
well run in parallel and gain quite a bit of total time.

With best regards,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de