[Samba] V4 - New Install - Missing Zone File

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:25:07 MST 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, JDFire <jdfire at cox.net> wrote:
> Amitay,
>
> On Mar 3, 2012, at 8:03 AM, Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> related to having wrong keytab for dns. Can you try a fresh provision
>> with the latest git tree and check if it works?
>>

> Is there any way you could provide the steps for this? I want to make sure I follow directions to make sure I do it right.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

These are the same steps from Samba4 HOWTO.

Assuming you have pulled the latest git and did make install with
prefix /usr/local/samba,

1. Do a new provision

# /usr/local/samba/sbin/provision \
                  --realm=<realm> \
                  --domain=<domain> \
                  --adminpass=<password> \
                  --server-role="domain controller"

2. Add following line to the "options" statement of named.conf

     tkey-gssapi-keytab "/usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab";

3. Add following line to named.conf

     include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";

4. (Re)Start named and make sure /etc/resolv.conf uses local nameserver.

5. Start samba

You can test if secure dynamic updates are working or not, by executing

# /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose

If that works, then your DNS is set up correctly.

Amitay.