[Samba] Proposal to remove security=share in Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 1 05:39:10 MST 2012

After feedback from my previous proposal, I am proposing to totally
remove security=share from Samba 4.0.  security=share has been
deprecated since Samba 3.6.

The attached patch shows the removal (a lot of complex code is going
away, which I think is a very good thing).

Naturally, full user-name/password authentication remain available in
security=user and above.

The rationale is that for the bulk of security=share users, we just we
need a very simple way to run a 'trust the network' Samba server, where
users mark shares as guest ok.  This is still supported, and the
smb.conf options are documented at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Public_Samba_Server

At the same time, I want to close the door on one of the most arcane
areas of Samba authentication.

If you have any concerns about this, please let me know,