demote error

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Jun 29 21:54:34 MDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:18 AM, Daniele Dario wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 09:50 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:

>>> Hi Andreas,
>>> I've seen that after demote of "secondary" DCs, the DNS record related
>>> to the DC is still present in the _msdcs zone (it happened to me, don't
>>> know if it was due to me or to the fact I started with very old releases
>>> and had to manually add the record).
>> When I wrote the demote option for samba-tool we didn't really had the
>> DNS stored in the AD that's why I haven't done the cleanup of this
>> records. I think adding the code in samba-tool shouldn't be too complicated.
>> If too complicated then please file a bug report for a enhancement request.
>>> Once I manually removed it using samba-tool dns delete, I was again able
>>> to re-join the DC and I've seen that with latest git version of samba4
>>> replication started automatically also for DNS zones.
>> I'm not too sure to understand why old DNS records would prevent samba
>> to join a second time as a DC, it should in the end update the DNS
>> records cleanly.
>>
>> Matthieu.
>>
> Hi Matthieu,
> that's my fault. The problem I had was not with not cleaned records.
>
> As Andreas I had the record of secondary DC like
> Name=7a16b14d-d320-4d7e-91a2-a61049a6f51e, Records=0, Children=0
> which was missing the CNAME part.
>
> Trying to manually remove/modify the record with samba-tool if failed
> (don't remember the code and can't reproduce it now) and also samba-tool
> add a new record told record already exists.
>
> During re-join I had failures and tried to find why. When I found that
> "wrong" record, I managed to remove it only with ldbedit/ldbdel and
> after removed I've been able to re-join DC.
>
> At this point I don't know if it was the problem or not but just told my
> experience.
Ok please do us a favor: file a bug and put me in copy of this one. I'm
planning to have a closer look at DNS stuff in the couple of days. There
is issues with ACLs that we have to fix for DNS records I highly doubt
that they are related to your problem but once I'll be in this area of
the code I can have a closer look.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou