Patchset to add asynchronous open/close to master

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 29 13:00:22 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 03:16:52PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 05:24:42PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > Actually, thinking about this as both Simo and Metze
> > have complained, I will remove any references to SMB_VFS_NEXT*
> > calls in the code, and call directly to the underlying
> > syscalls/and or smbd code. Looking at this again there
> > isn't a lot of duplication anyway, so I'm not gaining
> > much.
> >
> > It is confusing, and is only a lazy way of doing
> > the right thing - so I'll just do the right thing :-).
> >
> > Thanks Metze + Simo :-).
>
> So here is the updated patchset for master.
>
> It (hopefully) addresses Metze and Simo's concerns.
>
> It no longer uses global variables for per-share
> parameters.
>
> It no longer allows an SMB2 create call to
> be canceled.
>
> It now checks both uid and gid in the create
> race condition check.
>
> It no longer calls any SMB_VFS_XXX_NEXT()
> functions, but is always the terminator in
> a VFS stack.
>
> The last 3 patches in the set are optional,
> in that they implement asynchronous close -
> which is something that I know Volker is also
> working on, so I'm happy to let him make a decision
> on which of the two approaches he prefers.
>
> Let me know what you think - if this passes
> review I'll get these into master.

Ok - the fist part of this patchset (the stuff
that sets up the smbd engine to allow async
opens) was pretty uncontrovercial and passed
review as I recall.

It was the race conditions in the aio open
that got people upset :-).

So I'm planning to push the first part of
these changes (the set up changes) and
then work on the rest of the patch using
the per-thread creds we now have in master.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.