Need urgent help with samba4 DC re-join

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Wed Jun 27 11:27:31 MDT 2012

Am 27.06.2012 15:43, schrieb Andreas Oster:
> Am 27.06.2012 15:35, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:

>>> Hello Andrew,
>>>
>>> this is absolute possible. In a prior try to replicate the
>>> DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones I used the samba-tool drs command but
>>> this did not succeed and, if I do remember correct, quit with an error
>>> message. As everything kept on working as before, it did not come to my
>>> mind that it might have broken anything.
>>>
>>> Do you have an idea how to fix this ?
>>
>> ldbedit -H sam.ldb -s base -b dc=domaindnszones,DC=novanetwork,DC=loc
>>
>> Then set:
>>
>> objectClass: domainDNS
>> objectCategory:
>> CN=Domain-DNS,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=novanetwork,DC=loc
>>
>> That should fix it (I hope).
>>
>> This is the end for me for tonight, but I'll follow up tomorrow.
>> Hopefully others here can help you with any remaining details.
>>
>> KEEP GOOD BACKUPS.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett
>>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> thank you very much for your help. I appreciate very much that you use
> your limited time to help guys like me.
>
> I will create a backup and do the proposed changes with ldbedit. I will
> report here if joining works again afterwards.
>
> best regards
>
> Andreas

Hello Andrew,

unfortunately, I have been unable to modify/add the settings via
ldbedit. I got the following error message when committing the
modifications:

../bin/ldbedit -H sam.ldb -s base -b dc=domaindnszones,DC=novanetwork,DC=loc
failed to modify DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=novanetwork,DC=loc - cannot change
replicated attribute on partial replica at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/repl_meta_data.c:1408

Any idea what could be causing it ?

Luckily, I did a vmware snapshot before demoting the second DC, I was so
upset that I forget about that. I have now reverted back to the old
snapshots and second DC is functional again.
I have done the tests with ldbsearch on the DomainDnsZones and
ForestDnsZones and realized, that the faulty entries already existed
before demoting. So I guess before I can demote the second DC again I
will have to fix those errors.

Thank you for your kind help

best regards

Andreas