How to get DNS replication working properly?

Morten Kramer node1011 at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:43:02 MDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 04:07 PM, Morten Kramer wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 02:49 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> I tried git clone git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git
>>> fix-dns-replication
>>> But it looks like it's missing the netcmd/ subdirectory and e.g.
>>> domain.py you patched?
>> You need to check out the fix-dns-replication branch, eg
>>
>> cd fix-dns-replication
>> git checkout abartlet/fix-dns-replication -b fix-dns-replication
>> make
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett
>>

> Checked out the branch, it all compiled fine.
>
> Joined Samba to the Windows 2008R2 domain.
>
> I got a few of those:
>
> Schema update now failed: Invalid DN syntax
> Commit failed: Invalid DN syntax
> Failed to commit objects:
> WERR_DS_INTERNAL_FAILURE/NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE
>
> After repadmine /kcc, replication succeeded.
>
> I ran samba_upgradedns with SAMBA_INTERNAL as backend.
> I started samba again, and then something scary happened:
>
> My win2k8 DC become Unavailable, the Windows DNS server stopped
> working (connection timeout). All the .msc management tools telling
> me, that naming information are unavailable. I'm not sure if the whole
> DC failed, or just DNS?
>
> Since this is productive i quickly had to revert to the snapshot i did
> before the join.
>
> Any ideas?

Just trying again, this time with the DLZ plugin.

Getting this error though:

Jun 24 19:36:16 SambaDC named[1308]: samba_dlz: Failed to configure zone
'..TrustAnchors'
Jun 24 19:36:16 SambaDC named[1308]: loading configuration: empty label

I'm assuming this is because of the '..' in the zone name?
Any idea how to fix this?

Is this zone even required?