How to get DNS replication working properly?

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 06:00:59 MDT 2012

On 24/06/2012 12:37, steve wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 01:19 PM, Mike Howard wrote:
>>>

>>> So should I use the internal DNS or Bind DLZ? Does it matter?
>>>

>> The internal server does not support secure dynamic updates yet, so
>> if you want secure dynamic updates, go with bind_dlz. Linux clients
>> have a hard time with that though, so, if you have linux clients and
>> don't _need_ secure updates, go with samba_internal. Just my opinion
>> of course.
> Hi Mike
> Does that explain that when I join a Linux client to the domain I get
> a 'DNS Update Failed' message?
>
> Despite the message, the Linux box seems to work fine. Confused.
> Cheers,
> Steve

I guess it depends on your configuration. For example, it's quite
possible more than one attempt (and or method) is being made to update
your dns. The first attempt succeeds and the second attempt fails (for
any number of reasons) and results in the 'DNS Update Failed' message.
The default action for windows clients, for example, is to attempt to
register with dns.

--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!