How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Sat Jun 23 02:46:19 MDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 09:23 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

>> > What is the VFS API?
>> >
>> > Does it include all the other Samba functions that a VFS module could
>> > potentially call?
>> >
>> > (As an example of what I mean, a passdb module AB wrote recently started
>> > calling become_root()/unbecome_root())
>> The module does not call become_root()/unbecome_root(). Instead, the
>> callback for smbldap SASL bind operation is called under
>> become_root()/unbecome_root() from within smbldap code. All passdb use
>> is actually done with become_root()/unbecome_root() already.
>
> Ahh, thanks.  But my memory is you did have a module that did this, and
> it worked?
Yes, it worked, but then we discussed on IRC with you and came to
conclusion it is better to move the wrapping where the call happens.

> Putting aside this example, my point is just that the functions in the
> Samba VFS API could potentially be quite broad.  For example, we
> maintained for ages some lp_ helpers, and I presume some modules call
> DEBUG().
Yes. An issue with 4.0 is that headers are not installed which would
allowed to build VFS modules for smbd at all. We'll need to get smbd
source3/include headers back into WAF build. For example,
source3/include/proto.h is not installed, making hard to build any VFS
module that uses lp_parm_const_string() or vfs_file_id_from_sbuf(). Or
vfs.h/vfs_macros.h.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy