Plans for pdb_ads and auth_netlogond?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Jun 22 23:54:01 MDT 2012

On 06/11/2012 02:09 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Volker,
>
> I'm wondering what your plans are for auth_netlogond and pdb_ads?
>
> I'm trying to tidy up the tree as we move along with Samba 4.0 betas,
> and I thought it would be a good time to check what your plans are here.
>
> These modules were vital building blocks for what we have with the
> merged 4.0, and I thank you for your time and effort in showing that a
> combined Samba 4.0 is indeed possible.
>
> Without these first steps, we would not have built the other components
> (in particular the named pipe forwarding) that form our release
> configuration of the Samba 4.0 AD DC.
>
> However, as you know, we have built on these modules and gone further
> and as they don't operate as part of the official AD configuration they
> are not tested in in make test.  Indeed, there remains some significant
> issues - in particular the need for runtime ldapi:// support and not
> connecting to idmap.ldb for pdb_ads and local group and privileges
> lookup for auth_netlogond.
>
> If you don't have any plans for future development, I'm wondering if you
> would be OK with the attached patches to remove these from master?
Ok it seems that Simo, Volker, Michael raised some concerns and they
seems to be interested to bring this effort.
Apart from the fact that it's for the moment untested and not fully
complete code is this causing some extra work or making things much more
complicated ?

If not let's keep them for 4.0 to give this code a chance (mostly the
same thing that we did with ntvfs with the noticeable exception that
ntvfs allowed a decent AD experience although not perfect).
Can we agree that:
* for 4.1 we (== people interested in keeping this code) would have
introduced some unit tests
* for 4.2 development in (or related) to those module a restarted
significantly
Failing to comply with this would mean that we should seriously consider
the removal of this modules ?

Comments ?

Matthieu.

--