shared libs without linker scripts?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 21 16:58:49 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 14:22 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> Of course, symbol versioning will help you on Linux, but not all
> platforms support symbol versioning.

On this, I'm thinking about the broader implications of running without
a version script.  Isn't that what we use to make (eg, as an example
that we know has poor internal namespace control) libsmbclient safe, and
not expose all our internal guts, even on autoconf?

That is, can we do any shared libs, on any build system safely without
it?

Is fixing this more broadly just a platform-dependent thing, or else
what did shared libraries do before version/linker scripts?