replication seems to fail every few days

Arvid Requate requate at univention.de
Thu Jun 21 09:23:45 MDT 2012

Hi Greg,

>  I'm running a domain with 2 samba4 DCs and it seems like every week or
> 2 I get a replication failure on one of them and need to restart.

* Which version of the samba source4 services are your running? beta2?
* Are you using s3fs/smbd or the ntvfs?

> When it fails I get this:
>
> [root at ads2 ~]# /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool drs showrepl
> Default-First-Site-Name\ADS2
> DSA Options: 0x00000001
> DSA object GUID: 46f6864c-3d13-4702-b30f-868333d6983d
> DSA invocationId: 490683ed-89ac-4b35-ad80-e3a33548a2fe
>
> ==== INBOUND NEIGHBORS ====
>
> ERROR(runtime): DsReplicaGetInfo of type 0 failed - (-1073610723,
> 'NT_STATUS_RPC_PROTOCOL_ERROR')
>
> and in the logs (default log level I get:
>
> [2012/06/21 07:45:16,
> 0] ../source4/rpc_server/common/forward.c:51(dcesrv_irpc_forward_callback)
>   IRPC callback failed for DsReplicaGetInfo -
> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

AFAIK IRPC is the internal RPC over unix domain sockets, so this would
indicate that the 'rpc_server' process cannot connect to some other local
samba service, e.g. to drepl. This might indicate that the specific process has
crashed in the mean time. To check this, you could start the samba processes
e.g. with 'ulimit -c unlimited' to allow core dumps to be written. Then
restart the samba processes and check for core files in cases of trouble.

It might be useful to configure a different path for the core files than the
standard '/core'. You could do this via

echo 'kernel.core_pattern = /var/tmp/core-%e-%h-pid%p-%t' \
      > /etc/sysctl.d/core.conf
sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.d/core.conf

At least this works in Debian.

Cheers,
Arvid

Quoting post by Greg Dickie sent 21.06.2012

--
Arvid Requate
Open Source Software Engineer

Univention GmbH