[ANNOUNCE] Samba 4.0 beta2

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Jun 21 01:56:58 MDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 05:33 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> We are proud to a announce another beta release of Samba 4.0, beta 2
Good job for releasing this beta 2 Andrew.
> UPGRADING
> =========
>
> Users upgrading from Samba 3.x domain controllers and wanting to use
> Samba 4.0 as an AD DC should use the 'samba-tool domain
> classicupgrade' command.  See the wiki for more details:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba3upgrade/HOWTO
>
> Users upgrading from Samba 4.0 alpha and beta releases since alpha15
> should run 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix'.  Users upgrading
> from earlier alpha releases should contact the team for advice.
I have to work on upgradeprovision so that it stays the choice #1 for
upgrades, in my memory it's not as bad as it use to be but there is
still glitches on DNS acls that I want to fix.

> CHANGES SINCE beta1
> =====================
>
> For a list of changes since beta1, please see the git log.
>
> $ git clone git://git.samba.org/samba.git
> $ cd samba.git
> $ git log samba-4.0.0beta1..samba-4.0.0beta2
>
> Some major user-visible changes include:
>
> The default file server for EXISTING USERS has changed to s3fs.  To
> continue to use ntvfs, you must set in your smb.conf:
>
>      server services = +smb -s3fs
>      dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc
>
> samba-tool dbcheck will now upgrade older databases that are missing
> GUIDs in the schema partition.
>
> The 'samba-tool domain samba3upgrade' command is now called
> 'samba-tool domain classicupgrade' and now creates users and groups
> with the posixAccount objectClass and uidNumber and gidNumber values.
>
> The new 'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307' parameter allows these values to be
> used instead of the idmap.ldb, where found in the directory.
>
> Work has continued to make Samba more portable to a wide variety of
> Unix-like systems, and to support --without-ad-dc on systems lacking a
> modern MIT krb5.
>
> Less visible, but very importantly, the work has continued in restructuring
> the smbd file server to implement SMB3.
>
> The TDB2 database library has been changed to ntdb, but will not be
> the default db layer for the 4.0 release.  We will continue to use tdb1.
I should be able to push my changes for the schema soon, I'm a bit
overloaded of work latetly but the patches are almost here (1 fix to do).

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team