Plans for pdb_ads and auth_netlogond?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 20 19:34:56 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:57 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 13:00 -0400, simo wrote:

> > > Simo,
> > >
> > > I'm rather confused:  Is this comment related to my patches, or just a general
> > > concern following up the comments you made last week?  We currently fork() and
> > > exec() smbd, and after your clear feedback on the question, there are no current
> > > proposals to change that.
> >
> > That was a general comment, but forking and executing also naturally
> > means ion the long term we should have separate daemons handling the
> > separate aspects of samba.
> >
> > I am *really* uncomfortable about the fact we link everything everywhere
> > because it makes it impossible to do proper security enforcement by
> > confining the single daemon.
> >
> > For example it should be possible to confine the file server so it
> > doesn't have full access to the password database. Failure to do so
> > means a bug in the file server will compromise your entire domain
> > easily. That is not really a good idea. We need to stop letting every
> > single last remote part of samba require direct access to all that
> > information.
> > That's why I think Volker approach is superior.
>
> Simo,
>
> Sadly the code you so defend does not achieve either of these aims.  It
> only changes the full, unfettered access to the password db from being
> direct access to tdb files to SYSTEM access over ldapi://.  The
> auth_samba4 and pdb_samba4 code could be configured to do the same, but
> there is simply no advantage in doing so (and you loose transactions).
>
> Certainly it may be possible to build an alternate solution that does
> not have these properties, but you certainly would not start with
> auth_netlogond, because it fundamentally requires access the the machine
> account password (or the ability to reset it), and in AD the DC machine
> account password IS access to the full password database (just start a
> new replication).
>
> In a similar way, it may well be possible to build passdb modules that
> operate on reduced privileges only for whatever residual uses smbd needs
> beyond authentication (there may not be many), but rather than maintain
> a duplicate module, a configuration of pdb_samba4 could suffice here.
>
> However, smbd has never to my knowledge even been demonstrated in such a
> mode, even in the much simpler classic domain controller case, so this
> would be totally new development.
>
> I have actually spent a great deal of time thinking about the security
> boundaries here, starting with the discussion you will recall many years
> back on why our KDC cannot be separated from the rest of Samba.  The AD
> design - such as the same machine account being used for accepting file
> server kerberos connections as sensitive DRS replication forces a number
> of compromises.  There may be ways around this, and I'm happy to work
> with you on them, but it really needs to be designed from scratch
> [...]

Just a quick note to clarify this:  I mean that an AD KDC cannot operate
in an isolated security domain, separated in particular from the DCE/RPC
servers.  It can of course be in a distinct process (which we do
regularly), or even started independently (using a hdb or MIT plugin
module), but it remains in the same security domain as the DCE/RPC
servers at least.  As I said, I'm happy to work with you to try and
design a new solution for the difficult task of separating it form the
file server.

Thanks,