Patchset to add asynchronous open/close to master

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 20 11:07:07 MDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:58:05PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> The explanation fully describes what the patch is doing. It
> is just that I disagree that we should do it this way.

Well that's a problem. I'm asking you to trust my technical
judgement on this. If you don't trust that, then there's
little I can do to convince you by rational argument.

> It can happen that files are created where a normal create
> would not have been possible due to kernel-based
> permissions. Imagine a become_root() at an inopportune time
> while an async open as a non-privileged user is just about
> to be scheduled. This is a classic time-of-check -
> time-of-use race from my point of view.

As I just replied to Simo, we already check in the
CreateFile path. The only way to avoid any races
is to have a kernel CreateFile call.

Jeremy.