How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Jun 18 09:55:47 MDT 2012

On Wed 13.Jun.12 12:24, Michael Adam wrote:
>Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:21:06AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
>> > OK, my mail was way too long.
>> >
>> > Let me recap the most important questions/points:
>> >
>> > * What is so new in the 4.0 release step file-server-wise
>> >   that OEMs will refrain from upgrading even longer than
>> >   they did/do for other releases?
>>
>> Large, realtively untested changes in many core components.
>> Don't get me wrong, I think we're doing the best we can
>> and our testing is getting better. But there are large
>> changes here. More change == more new bugs. It really is that
>> simple.
>
>Right, I'd still say that this is the same as with previous releases.
>Overhauling the whole rpc infrastructure, adding smb2 support, etc.
>
>> >   Is 4.0 fileserver-wise really worse / more scary / bigger than
>> >   earlier releases from the point of view of OEMs?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>Just claiming "yes" is not enough. ;)

I don't see the difference between building 4.0 with

     ./configure --without-ad-dc --with-system-mitkrb5

and creating a 3.7 branch and building it with source3/configure. With
the latest changes this is essentially the the same. Maybe Jeremy needs
some private lessons with the 4.0 build system :)

     -- andreas