An interface to share-level permissions through the VFS or another shared library ...

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:24:04 MDT 2012

Hi folks,

Currently, as far as I can see, the interface to share-level ACLs is
private within Samba, and they re currently stored in a TDB.

However, some system integrators who are doing replication, might
prefer to keep this information in XATTRs so they don't have to
replicate different types of objects ...

Of course, this does raise other issues. In particular, co-ordinating
updates by multiple users and issues of application-consistency with
respect to replication etc.

If we were to entertain a VFS-level interface, it would have to go in
the disk-operations group, I would imagine.

Any comments/thoughts?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe