NTDB progress!

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Jun 14 22:23:52 MDT 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:05:42 +1000, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> Rusty,
>
> In short, I'm starting to agree with others who suggest that this just
> feels *way* too late.  Perhaps if we had been using tdb2 format in
> Samba4 for a while, it wouldn't be an issue, but there hasn't been major
> use of the db layer (only the API) anywhere, and we are getting way to
> close to the release.

Agreed.

I'll commit the current ntdb work, but it's not used by anything.  At
least it'll be built, and tested with 'make test', and be there for
inspection.  Library version is 0.9, giving us some wiggle room if we
need to break something.

I'll also push the dbwrap enhancements, too (dbwrap_local_open and the
API extensions which allow wider use).

I'll continue to work on the dbwrap conversion with anyone who's
interested.  All welcome to join the fun!

Here's what I've got (I'm currently debugging 'source3/printing: convert
to dbwrap.' which breaks on a full 'make test' for some weird reason):

        https://git.samba.org/rusty/samba.git/?p=rusty/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dbwrap

> I'm sorry to lower the boom over this major project of yours, but I hope
> you understand.

Thanks for the thought, but don't apologize!  It's the right decision,
for the right reasons.  If I wish the universe were different, that's my
problem :)

Cheers,
Rusty.