New server roles: 'netbios primary domain controller', 'active directory domain controller'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 16:41:03 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 00:19 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:13:29AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > 'classic primary/backup domain controller' sounds better, and avoid
> > > 'netbios' which is not accurate in any case.
>
> > What I'm searching for is a term that lasts over the next decade and
> > still has meaning.  That is why I tried to pick a term that mentioned a
> > specific technology. In a few years time, what would the term 'classic'
> > mean to our users?  (As a counter-example, think of how meaningless it
> > feels when Samba-TNG calls us 'samba classic').
>
> NetBIOS might be one of the technologies that is different between AD
> and NT4-style domains, but it isn't actually the bit that matters.
> Also, even in AD DC mode, we (can) still support NetBIOS without problems.
>
> How does Microsoft refer to pre-AD domains?

I know they use 'downlevel' (at least when talking about trusts).

> I generally talk
> about "nt4-style domains" when talking about them, and most people
> seem to know what I mean.

"nt4-style primary domain controller" would work, but it is a little bit
messy with:
 samba-tool domain nt4-style-upgrade
given that we can't actually upgrade from NT4 (the samsync code for that
is essentially untested these days).  But it's not too bad.  The main
thing is that like "netbios", "nt4-style" doesn't describe what Simo has
with FreeIPA very well, which does some AD-like things (but not full AD)
using the smbd SAMR/LSA server.

(Interestingly, Microsoft doesn't support NT4 domains any more - only
Samba NT4-like domains, due to a crypto upgrade we did together!)

It does have the advantage that all of us have generally referred to the
code as an NT4-style DC for a long time.

Thanks,