Call for sample samba4 init scripts?

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:31:52 MDT 2012

This is a topic which pops every so often -- where are the Init scripts for
Samba4?  The problem is that init scripts are distribution specific.  The
HOWTO states, "Samba4 alpha13 doesn't yet have init scripts included for
each platform, but making one for your platform should not be difficult."
 Well, they aren't exactly rocket science, but there are some points which
can be quirky, and not everyone knows how to integrate the script with
their particular startup infrastructure.  (This gets even more weird
when distributions like Fedora radically overhaul their approach to init!)
 I've done a little bit of Googling around, but other than a few files
attached to various posts to the Samba lists, I haven't found much.

I'd like to create a somewhat better collection of sample init scripts,
listed by system.  I can think of at least Debian based systems and Red
Hat/Fedora off the top of my head.  Solaris also comes to mind.  These
could be either included as samples in a part of the Git repository, or as
a Wiki page (or something else, if someone has a better idea).  I'd be
happy to start another Wiki page and populate it with a couple of samples.
 If people have an example init script they are using (or if there are any
people who really *are* experts in the design of init.d scripts), then you
can send files and instructions to me for starters.  Once the Wiki is
started, then other people can start expanding on it.

--
    Charles Tryon