How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 10:44:47 MDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:36:08AM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> >> * We could offer a loose collection of backported feature patches
> >>   not harnessed into a release, so every interested OEM can pick
> >>   from that collection.
> >
> > I don't like that idea. The "loose collection of backported feature patches"
> > is what everyone has on their own right now. It negates the
> > advantage of being a "release".
>
> I'd suggest a v3-6-backports branch (maybe in an extra repo, rebased on
> v3-6-stable)

Great idea ! Let's call it, oh.... I dunno - v3-7-test.
That's a good name :-). See the problem ?

> And how many are needed to veto it?

The problem with a vero system is it gives great power
to people who are willing to veto for political
reasons. I'm not sure we should really go there.

If you're going to have a veto, you need to also
have the ability to override it.

Jeremy.