Samba4 success as a peer-DC to Windows 2008 ... plus some questions.

Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rodriguez cbustillo at uclv.edu.cu
Wed Jun 13 07:57:30 MDT 2012

>Just an update below. It seems smbd doesn't run when there is a pid file in
>/var/run/samba/samba-filserver.pid - removing this resulting in me browsing
>the samba shares. What is the right way of stopping and restarting samba
>gracefully?

>hb

You can try with the attached script to start, restart and stop Samba4.
To active at start up you must:
1) Save the script in /etc/init.d/ (or directory for init script in your distro)
2) Set the correct permission:
     chmod 755 /etc/init.d/samba4
3) Enable at start up:
     cd /etc/init.d/
     update-rc.d samba4 defaults

To start, restart and stop:
/etc/init.d/samba start
 /etc/init.d/samba restart
/etc/init.d/samba stop

For debug samba4:
  samba -i -M single -d2
where -d2 is the level of debug, you can specify another number.

Make sure you put the bin and sbin directories from your new install in your $PATH

Regards, Carlos

La Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de Las Villas en su 60 Aniversario. Fundada el 30 de noviembre de 1952. Vis?tenos en:  http://www.uclv.edu.cu