How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 06:56:18 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 17:45 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > > They want all new features in no new release of course :-).
> > > Which is impossible :-).
> >
> > Indeed.  So why are you proposing anything like it?  Perhaps I'm missing
> > something:  What do we gain at a team by even attempting part of this
> > impossible feat?
>
> See the patch I just posted for a perfect example of
> the kind of thing I'm proposing.
>
> A 10x speedup for a certain application class. In
> less than 2000 lines of code.
>
> But it's a "new feature", and thus prohibited
> from going into 3.6.next.
>
> I think that's dumb.

No it is not, it is a *new* code path, that you tested, but hasn't been
widely tested otherwise. Your OEM can easily patch it on top of their
tree, they will never use a vanilla samba anyway, so we should put it in
master and release it in the new file server.

However you can also decide to maintaina barnch on git.samba.org
yourself with all the rebased patches on top if you feel strongly in
providing pre-canned trees.

But I really do not see why we should put new features in a 'stable'
release. The point of stable release is that they get bugfixes not new
features.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce