What was/is the purpose of the getwd cache?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 12 15:00:32 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 01:55:36PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What happens if I set 'getwd cache = no'?

smbd will stop using the getwd cache. See this comment
in the code:

        /*
         * We don't have the information to hand so rely on traditional
         * methods. The very slow getcwd, which spawns a process on some
         * systems, or the not quite so bad getwd.
         */

Probably these days getwd is reasonably fast. But this is
an *OLD* optimization.

Jeremy.