[patch] make the logging header customisable

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Jun 12 02:27:28 MDT 2012

Hello Volker & all,

A couple of months ago we briefly discussed on the possibility to have a
header printed even if we log on the stdout because with more than 1
process logging it can be a bit tedious sometime to understand who print
what.
My understanding was that you were more or less ok with this idea but
that instead of adding a simple boolean to say "add headers also when
logging to stdout" you proposed me (at least that was my understanding)
to be able to specify the header that we want to have.
I've been working on this lately and come with the following patch for
the 3.5.x branch, it seems to work ok as if the "debug header template"
parameter is not specified the header is as it was (which means no
header in case of logging to stdout) but if you specify it then it will
be as specified.

For the moment the patch is for 3.5.14 as it's what we use at my work
and it helps us during the QA and dev debug, it didn't apply yet to
master but I'll do the job of front port if the idea of the patch is ok
(and if it's also at least mostly ok).

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou